Monday, September 7, 2009

Finding a Surgeon

As I said in my last post we were at a loss as far as selecting a surgeon for this procedure. Nothing in our experience told us how to proceed. It turns out that several of the dear friends we had informed, who also work at Medtronic, had contacts and they weren't afraid to use them. Within 24 hours we had executives in the Cardiac Surgery division working on our behalf to help us find candidate surgeons. We also had a very important guardian angel working on our behalf.

In addition, someone at Medtronic apparently forwarded my information to Dr. Stephen Oesterle, Medtronic's Senior Vice President of Medicine and Technology, who I believe was on vacation in the Atlantic at the time. Prior to joining Medtronic, Dr. Oesterle has served as Associate Professor of Medicine at the Harvard University Medical School and as Director of Invasive Cardiology Services at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston. A teacher and innovator in the field of cardiac catheterization, he has also developed and directed interventional cardiology programs at Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles; at Georgetown University; and at Stanford University. This was definitely someone I needed to listen to and take advice from. Dr. Oesterle e-mailed me as soon as he heard and immediately scoped out my condition and what I knew about it and started working my behalf to find the best person he could for my surgery. He quickly put me in contact with Dr. Craig Miller at Stanford University in California.

I talked to Dr. Miller on the phone and he explained his approach to my case and we discussed tissue vs. mechanical valves. We talked about the potential re-operation that tissue valves would require for someone my age (8-15 years life expectancy for current tissue valves). Dr. Miller assured me I wouldn't want to go through what I was about to go through twice! I was concerned about the mechanical valve and the fact that coumadin would be required for life to thin my blood and prevent the build-up of platelets and clots on the artificial mechanical valve. There are other technologies on the horizon that Dr. Miller and I discussed, but he wasn't ready to bet my life on them just yet though they have great promise. In the end, he agreed he would do what I wanted, but strongly encouraged me to consider mechanical as the best first choice. In the end I had a good feeling about this particular surgeon and Dr. Oesterle pointed out that this wasn't the kind of operation that just anyone could do with great skill and experience. We decided to work with Dr. Miller's staff to see how soon we could get on his schedule and have this operation done.

The results in the next post.

Jon

2 comments:

  1. And you oppose universal health care for the poor? And unwashed? You hypocritical son of a bitch. Lucky for you that you know someone, huh? More than anything I wish you to get through this and get better, but how DARE you to imply that people beneath "your station" don't deserve this kind of treatment. I'm so disgusted that I need to go wash my fucking mouth out. God forbid that you got laid off last month. Because then you'd be facing the death penalty.

    Oh well. Fuck the poor. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man -- wish you had some facts behind your anger. You really need to calm down, listen, and think before you spew. Enough already. If you really believe this is what I think I'm truly sorry for ever giving you that impression. Why is the Obama nation so quick to demonize everyone who disagrees with them instead of engaging in constructive discussion. So disappointed, so confused. Wish you well man, but you are not helping the cause. First and foremost, I have never opposed universal health care for anyone! I do strongly oppose stupid, ill-conceived entitlement programs that put all of us in jeopardy. I vigorously oppose government intrusion into things they have no business being involved in. I am tired of being treated like an asshole because I've taken care of my life and my career. Wish you'd find a more appropriate venue for your anger -- this is not it!

    ReplyDelete